...

...
...

Thursday, August 6, 2009

German "Diederich" Tradition

In Germany, there's a first-day-of-school tradition called a "Schultute" or School Cone. Everyone in my family calls it a "Sugar Tuta" since it is filled with candy and sweets. The cone is a giant cardboard cone filled with back-to-school supplies, candies, and other small goodies. This gift, much like an academic Christmas stocking, makes the first day of school extra special. The tradition dates back to the early 1800's in Germany and our family still celebrates it today, only now for those entering Kindergarten.

Logan was eagerly anticipating this special day with Grandma Diederich. His cousin Callie is also starting Kindergarten this year, so they got to go to Kiddie Kandids and have thier portraits taken in the traditional German costumes, the liederhosens and durndel dress. Here is a picture of a typical German school class receiving their school cones. I wish I could have posted the picture of me with my sugar tuta when I was 5 years old. It is now in the basement of our Bear Lake condo. Such great memories.....











3 comments:

  1. What a cool tradition! Logan looks so cute in his costume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. He is just an adorable little man.
    Love this tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally remember wishing that we also had this tradition when Traci got her cone. I thought it was Christmas. It's hard to believe Logan and Emma are going to Kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete